Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pirate Apparel: Flag Stenciled T-shirts

Earlier this August, my family came together to mourn/celebrate Black Tot Day. If you're in the same position I was a year ago, you have no idea what this is. No worry. This will all be explained. A little back story first- last summer my family, as well as my uncle and his family, spent a week in Bermuda. Under the influence of island history (a la the Royal Navy Dockyard) and many a Dark and Stormy it was decided that in 2012 we would have a party for Black Tot Day. Essentially, after centuries of various forms of alcoholic rations, it was decided that July 31, 1970 would be that last day that the Royal Navy would issue rum rations. To mourn this event, sailors wore black arm bands, buried tots (small amounts of liquor) at sea, and held mock funerals. It became our duty to continue this tradition, but with a stronger emphasis on the party aspect.

As for what we were all to wear- that was much broader than traditional Royal Navy sailor garb. Pirates and beach bums were welcome as well. So, I decided to make t-shirts for my sister and me featuring famous pirate flags. Sister got the Jolly Roger and I sported Blackbeard's flag. In order to make these, I created stencils from printer paper. I have to ability to create silk screens and multi-use stencils, but because I intended to use each design only once, I went with the disposable paper stencil. But first, I had to sketch them out.
Menacing, aren't they?
The Jolly Roger was easy enough, but Blackbeard's design gave me some trouble. The big thing to remember here is to save those little bits (the negative space, as it is) from inside the design. To affix the stencil to the shirt I used CCI Mist Adhesive, which I highly recommend. I've used this for years in my silk screening and it's fantastic: it's no drip and strong enough to stick to your projects but doesn't leave any residue.

 I actually save everything I cut out so I can make sure those bone highlights, nose, and eyes make it to the right place.

This design is solely bone, so I used a 50/50 mixture of Tulip's soft fabric paints (matte) in the colors Linen and Glacier White. The Blackbeard design had the same off white mixture  along with Crimson Red mixed with a touch of Ebony, both Tulip paints with a matte finish.





The Pirate Sisters
 To Queen Elizabeth II, a willing soul, and a sea room!

No comments:

Post a Comment